Thứ Hai, 27 tháng 4, 2009

Why I don't buy Macbooks

This is article written based on my perspective on Computers.
When I decide to write this I am already prepared to be flamed by Apple Fans (or Fanatics =P)

I always felt buying Macbooks is never recommended because Macbooks don't offer much value for money at all.

Being a hardware enthusiast, I find Macbooks specifications pathetic compared to most other vendors offering.
For example a 2008 Macbook White cost 2K for a normal Intel Processor and X3100 Intel Graphics.
That kind of specs is easily matched by an Acer Laptop with the sames specifications at 1.6K.

Even in 2009 , a Macbook Black holding a normal Intel Processor and a Integrated Nvidia Graphics 9400M G cost around 2K+ is superceded by an Acer Laptop that has 9300M GS Nvidia Dedicated Graphics + an higher Clock Intel Processor.

I know the next argument would be built quality, and Mac OS X etc.
But simply said most Laptop qualities are just as good sometimes better than Macbooks.
I find an Aluminium Construction simply not offering any major advantage over plastic construction other than simply the looks and feel.

Plastic Polymers ARE supposed to be better or a more advance material than metals.
In many scientific field polymers are highly advocated and has more application than metal.
It seems that the success of polymers that make it so common, has ironically made it look like some cheap everyday material.

In a Laptop construction, using plastic polymers simply makes more sense.
  • Better comfort for user due to poor heat conduction.
  • Zero Electrical Conductivity.
  • Light Weight and high Polymer Strength
Moreover Acer Laptops look better each day yet their laptops are value for money with improving qualities.

Next people always assume Mac OS X can justify for the higher premium for Macbooks.

Firstly, we take a look at the components of Mac OS X

At the Core of any Operating System is the Kernel.
For Mac OS X it is Darwin.
What makes up Darwin?
It is a hybrid Kernel consisting of NEXTSTEP Mach MicroKernel and BSD Components.

BSD Components are actually BSD Code and Apple took it (For Free) without paying under BSD License(Which states any Source Code taken must be acknowledged, which Apple DID NOT since many Macbook owners know nothing of the BSD code taken).

Mach is a Microkernel component which Apple acquired after purchasing NEXTSTEP.

AQUA is the interface UI which Mac Fans swoon over.

So basically OS X is UNIX-based.

However FreeBSD and GNU/Linux are also UNIX-like yet they are FREE.

I am not a Windows Fanboy(And Windows OS Design does have some major flaws I hate) however when I pay for a Windows Based Laptop, it cost much lower than a Macbook even with the Windows License included.
For those Fanboys who insist on Mac OS X you can download Hackintosh Distributions and install, and also buy a proper Mac OS X License to soothe your gulity conscience.

For users like me, Viruses and Trojans are no threat since I have backups and I ain't silly enough to open some virus infected attachment or Trojan without proper protection.
Moreover I can get my Windows System up and running in less than half a day, since I know my system components and drivers inside out.
Sure Windows Vista can be slow and sluggish but if you know the knobs you can fine tune it to be fast enough for comfortable usage.

In addition, Apple has poor past reputation.
The company attempted to construct benchmarks in order to make PowerPC (Apple was using IBM PowerPC chips then) appear superior to x86 Processors so as to convince people to buy them.
Guess what processors they are using now?
Also, the Apple ads that continually bashed Windows shows how silly Apple advertising are.
It shows the level of maturity of Apple Marketing and most of the "facts" they advertised are exaggerated.
They are funny, but when I want to buy computers I am more concerned about the facts.
Would I buy laptops from "kids maturity level marketing"?
If you want to convince me to buy your system, show me the real facts and figures.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét